Friday, May 7, 2010

Finally!

It's been cold. It's been windy. It's been rainy. Yuck!

It's still cold but we bought plants anyway! We had planned to buy strawberries (I'm a little late getting those in!!) but went a little crazy and bought tons of herbs: cilantro, sweet basil, mint, rosemary, lavender! We also got 2 different kinds of strawberries, the names of which I can't remember and they're in the garage and I'm not...so I'll elaborate on those later!

I also bought something called Liquid Fence. Since I've had trouble with the bunnies loving my buttercrunch lettuce a little too much I asked for some help at the nursery today. I wasn't really keen on buying anything that had to be sprayed directly on my plants since my family will eventually be eating them. The guy working there assured me that there was no harm in it and that it was "all natural". It says you can spray it directly on edible plants just not before harvesting. Hmmmm. So it's OK a few days before you harvest but not right before you harvest? OR it's not OK before harvesting but OK after? Hmmmmm. I bought it anyway (for $12.99!!!!!!) but am certainly not going to spray it directly on my plants. I think I'll spray some around the perimeter of both the beds; since they're raised I doubt that will pose too much of a problem.

I just read about another garden blogger who was planting marigolds for pest protection and I asked her what types of pests they ward off. She was very helpful and actually wrote a whole blog entry about it! Apparently marigolds stop TONS of things...including RABBITS!!! Needless to say, we are buying lots of marigolds. Soon! Another site she recommended goes into great detail about companion planting--strategically planting things next to each other so each influences the other positively. I'm definitely going to have to look over this more carefully when I plan things out for next year.

I'm so happy to have actual things ready to plant! It's supposed to be cold tonight and tomorrow...but then--THEN--I can plant!

1 comment:

  1. Crazy tons of herbs? Never! You can never have too many herbs ; )

    ReplyDelete