Sunday, May 9, 2010

I have a garden...with real stuff growing in it! Today I planted my herbs. They are so beautiful! They make my boxes look like a real garden instead of just boxes with dirt in them! We took a Mother's Day trip to Walmart and bought some parsley (which I had forgotten to buy the other day) and some little terra cotta pots for the mint and lavender. I got the sweet basil, rosemary, parsley and cilantro planted in the first row of one of my boxes. I decided to do the lavender and mint in pots. Mint because everywhere I read says that it can totally take over a garden and lavender because I'm not really sure what to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use lavender for?

We also bought marigolds. A lot of marigolds. Too many marigolds. As I said in the last post, I just recently learned that marigolds are great for pest protection. So, as we were looking at the marigolds I think our brains said "PEST PROTECTION...GET AS MANY AS YOU CAN". Remember, we only have 2 4x4 garden boxes. Each carton of marigolds has 8 flowers in it. We bought 6 CARTONS!!!! As of right now, I've only used 2...I've got a lot of marigolds left!! I also planted some nasturtium seeds in between the marigolds. I'm hoping that they'll grow up and out of the box. Hopefully both these flowers will help with the hungry bunnies!!

The only thing we didn't get planted were the strawberries. I had planned to buy some soil at the store today but we bought the wrong kind--again. I wanted organic/no plant food added. Even after Dave and I both looked the bags over a few times we still missed the part that said (in large letters) "plant food will feed plants for at least 6 weeks". So, it's back to the store tomorrow to return it and buy something better.

I'm so proud of my little garden! My potatoes are doing great and my onions are wonderfully out of control and now I have my own little herb garden. I can't wait to snip some rosemary for rosemary cookies--I'm also thinking lavender cookies would be tasty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment