Saturday, May 1, 2010

Wascally Wabbits

Someone has been eating my lettuce. I planted my transplants a couple of days ago (see below) and they were looking pretty good. Until today. I looked out the kitchen window this morning to check on everything and there were no little green leaves peeking out at me! I ran out to check it out and at first wondered if the horrible winds we've been having these last few days had just pushed the leaves really far down. But, after I got out there I could see that something had just chomped it's way through the leaves! I guess I'll just let them be and see if they grow back. I planted more lettuce seeds today--another leaf lettuce type called summer crunch. Hopefully it will do as well as my other seeds have done.

I finally got my berry bush in a pot. It looks great! I bought a small trellis for it to climb on but am thinking I may need a taller one. I'll just have to see how things go once it starts growing.

I tried to get strawberries today but didn't because they only had roots for June bearing plants. I'd rather get the ones that bloom and produce fruit all summer so I passed them up. I think we'll head to Home Depot this week; they seemed to have a better selection of plants anyway.

So, back to my wascally wabbit problem! What do I do? In Mel's Square Foot Gardening book and on his site he recommends building another large, tall box out of chicken wire type stuff to set on top of the SqFtGarden. This seems like a lot of work :( And I don't really want to have to take the whole huge (and won't it have to be huge to fit over my vertical plants like squash and tomatoes?) off every time I want to harvest or water or plant. I looked for a type of netting today but couldn't find anything. I don't really want to sprinkle any sort of pest/animal repellent on the garden because I don't really want to eat that! Even if I only sprinkle it around the boxes I'm afraid wind and rain and weather in general will move it into my veggies...yuck! I'm going to do more research on some netting type stuff but if anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them!!

To end on a happy note, check out this sunset tonight! Just beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. dun dun DUUUUUUNNNN! hey, mr. mcgregor, would it work to build a chicken wire fence that would go around both boxes and bury the bottom so no little peter rabbits can burrow under it? it might not be pretty but maybe it would save your lettuce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do something like that...and soon! My lettuce seeds are starting to really come up and if I don't do something to them they'll be gone too!

    ReplyDelete